Monday, January 21, 2008

Yes Virginia, Eli is in the Super Bowl

I still can't believe that the Giants are going to the super bowl. I was confident that they were going to beat Tampa Bay, I was textbook hopeful about their chances against Dallas (you look on paper, see that if everything works out right, they could win) but thought that they were 50-50 at best. When it came to "A Disney Story: Brett Favre and the Packers" however, I was almost sure that they could not overcome all that was stacked against them. So I planned on cheering the good plays, getting somewhat upset over the mistakes, shaking my head in respect once Green Bay made the right plays to win. Then saying, "well that was a good season" and moving onto to baseball season. But then Brett Favre started throwing interceptions, which only come in bunches for him, and I got my hopes up till I saw Tynes, 2/4 on the day lining up for his longest field goal of the night. I had zero hope in him making that kick. So when he did bang it home, I was shocked. I didn't even cheer, I just sat saying "huh, how about that?" over and over. I still can't believe they are going, but the NY Post says they are, so Lets go Big Blue! To keep from jinxing them, I will say that the Pats are going to kill the Giants in the super bowl.

.
It's Martin Luther King day today. The bank is closed, the post office is closed, town and city hall are closed, the colleges are closed, and the public schools are closed. My office is open and apparently, so is every telemarketer in the United States. In the spirit of Martin Luther King I have been staging a protest in a passive non-violent way and gently placing the handset down in the cradle without criticizing, belittling, or chastising the person on the other end of the phone.
.
We are getting down to the nitty gritty here on our albums list. From this point on, it's increasingly hard to decide which album goes where because I like them all so much. They can probably all switch up or down one place and I would be okay with it, except for the much anticipated #1. That said, I stand strongly behind all of these albums as being enjoyable to anyone reading this blog with a modern and cultured brain in their head (i.e. people who don't listien to the hip hop station on the radio or watch MTV except for the Rob and Big show which is awesome)
.
NUMBER 12: Spoon "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" - Another band that is based out of Austin, Texas. Spoon has actually been around since 1993 working on their signature sound. It was only recently that they've found themselves a large following. I got on the Spoon train with the album "Gimme Fiction" which was the album they released in 2005 after those satin worshipers at Apple who eat all my money with their damn "Just for You!" feature, recommended it based on my past purchases. They aren't always right, but Spoon was right up my alley.
.
Now heard nationwide in a variety of commercials, movie soundtracks, and coffee houses; Spoon's signature sound is a modern theme for todays Gap shopper. All part of corperate America distancing itself from high cost pop stars in their advertising. However, much like Feist, there is more to Spoon than simple hooks. In fact, most times you wouldn't know you are even listening to a Spoon song if you haden't listened to thier music before, because Spoon's song aren't snappy in short 30 second spurts. They grow and grow due to their excellent studio work. Spoon, like many indie artists, are a band that grows on you more and more.
.
I read that Spoon's sound is best decribed as Gentlemen's rock, and I think that is a very accurate description. Nothing is over-stressed, nothing too loud, just good music that flows with precision. Each strum is perfect and their is a bounce beat with the short stokes on both the drums, guitar, and piano that extend longer then back to short again. There's a lot of rythem to their work that makes your head bounce a little when you listen to it. The foundation of the songs repeat the sound then they break that rythem into a longer more extensive version of the same sound. It's so simple, but its the little tiny details that are added that make the songs so good. There are not many, but they are perfect when mixed with the vocal stylings of Britt Daniel. Echoy background voices are one of the signature extras that Spoon adds, which work sometimes concurrently and sometimes opposite of his sharp precise singing methods.
.
Although the sound is very modern upper middle class. The lyrics are usually vague indie ideas about women, being an underdog, and social struggles. "Thugs and sticks and bats and balls for nuclear dicks with dialect drawls. They come from a parking lot town where nothing lives in the sun"
.
If you like this album, then you will also love the "Gimme Fiction" album. They sound similar and yet different, but both are strong spoon albums. Spoon is unmistakeable and truly an original sound. Once a Spoon fan, always a Spoon fan. My personal favorite songs on this album are "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb", "The Underdog", and "Finer Feelings" which has a Beastie Boys sounding segment in the beginning.
.

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder