Friday, January 11, 2008

Anonymous U.K. electronica

As I was brushing my teeth this morning, I began to think that toothpaste may be the most over marketed item in personal hygiene. Gotta give to those marketing guru's for coming up with some great idea's on how to take soap for your teeth and create all kinds of ways to encourage buying it with new vigor. Toothpaste is still the same as it was a hundred years ago. I think it used to be just a powder, so now they add a little water and mint flavor and stick it in a tube for you. But you wouldn't know that due to marketing genius' at Colgate, Crest, Aquafresh, etc.... If you believe what they say, toothpaste is as sophisticated as a BMW 5-series instead of basically edible/pleasant tasting soap

Now Toothpaste "whitens!" oh really? Cause usually when I clean something I don't expect it to be the color it started out as. "Tarter Control" fantastic! I am glad that the extra tough dirt on my teeth will be cleaned off too. "Fresh Burst!" Great! the product that looks and tastes like mint, actually smells like mint too! Thank you so much! "Plaque Formula" Get out of here! you mean that using this actually gets rid of the old stuck on dirt as well?

Back to the reviews......



NUMBER 18: Burial "Untrue"-- It figures that the day I have to write about this album is the day when it is lightly raining, dark, cloudy and 35 degrees. It must be fate that it belongs here. Burial is an electronic artist that chooses to remain anonymous in the U.K. Very mysterious, Dr. Watson if I do say so. Mystery aside, this is Burial's second smash album and he is finding his anonymity harder to keep, but still keeps up. His first self titled album was just as much of a success as this one using his electronic styling of "UK two step".

I am new to the electronic music. I always considered most of it to be the awful techno that I see "feminine cleaning product" type individuals dancing to with lots of gel and oil and pedophilia. However, since getting more involved in music, electronic might be the ultimate music format with its no rules style. Unfortunately, when I read reviews on electronic music, most of its description requires a knowledge with the vocabulary as to how its produced by the artist. I know nothing outside of guitars, drums, and keyboards, so electronic vocab is like an alien language to me, but I am quickly falling for it thanks to the likes of Daft Punk, Goldfrapp, LCD Soundsystem, and now Burial.

Now let me see, what can I tell you about this album? I love the album artwork and it's soft and understated sounds. The music makes you feel as though you are watching a movie about a lonely man wandering in a tunnel or dark abandoned building. There's lots of noises that sound like rain or wetness and most of the beats sound like soft footbeats of boots on metal or hard granite. There's also what sounds to me like bullet shell casings on concrete and clinking chains. The vocals are far off voices which describe despair and need. Like a narration of the lonely mans thoughts or perhaps the voices of the people he left behind. It's solid from start to finish too, which is rare, and the songs almost seemingly pass from one to the other, but don't sound repetitive, like a LOT of electronic can.

This is great headphones music, travelling alone or for falling to sleep to. You shouldn't buy this album to share with your friends or to work with. This is music for reading or pondering far away places or perhaps places that are very close by? This album came across with great ratings for all the major music review sources, but since I am not educated enough to really appreciate its subtleties, here is where I put it. If you are person who loves ambient music, you will love this album, but as much as I like this album and listen to it, the other albums on this list gave me more to get excited about. I am an excitable person, obviously!!!!!!! (notice my exclamation points?)

Music Samples: Archangel, etched headplate
Myspace page
Amazon link

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder