Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wimbledon Arm

I have never played a serious game of tennis before. I have tried, but the fact that there are in/out lines that I have to direct the ball around makes my head explode. However, despite my lack of experience, I managed to succomb to pretty serious case of tennis elbow. It started out as, "my arm hurts, ow" to "MY ARM HURTS........RIGHT.......HERE OWWWWW!" So after a month of saying that, I decided to investigate the issue using the fabulous interweb.
.
As soon as I saw the picture, I knew I nailed the diagnosis, cause the pain is right where it shows. If I close my eyes I can see the tendons being frayed and torn like that. And kind of red and aggravated too. The only difference that picture and my actual is that my muscle are 5x bigger than the ones in the picture. Oh.....and I have skin too. Sexy, chocolatey skin
.
Apparently, its a pretty serious thing according to the interweb, but knowing a few tennis players in my day, I am convinced that its not. I think that aristocratic tennis players need something to whine about when they miss a shot. So it's lots of ice, advil, and a freddie kruegar colored arm sleeve to keep it warm while I work out.
.
NUMBER 15: Voxtrot - Pitchfork would roll over in its cyber-grave if they saw me put this album ahead of both Burial and Panda Bear, but I am doing it. I am a little tentative myself about it, now that I really think about it. This is kind of a puff-pop type album and is slightly disappointing considering the quality of their EP's, and it is not soaked with musical genius. However, this got slightly kicked around considering they didn't live up to thier own hype, and it also has a lot more for real people to identify with, in that you are not left deciphering every pop hiss and layer. It is enjoyable to listien to and has an easy british indie sound to it. They remind me of a faster moving Travis.
.
Straight outta of the former Beamer habitat of Austin, Texas; Voxtrot released some fantastic EP's all over the internet and scoured the stage and YouTube to get thier name out, which got them the money to do this full length album. Faced with the challenge of over 12 songs, some of them are a little weak, but certain songs shine with an eased down and crystal clear punk sound. Quick snare and cymbal taps, rolling violins and guitar riffs, and light on the bass drum and guitar make this album feel energetic. Combined with the snappy angsty lyrics that drive lines like "I had to lose my idols to find my voice" and "dead weight alright, I know your no good for me" the first half of this album shows plenty of potential, but it loses inspiration after the Every Day track, which sounds very similar to the Kid Gloves track. There's a nice slow track in "Real live version" where lead singer Ramesh Srivastava slows himself down to sing a meloncholoy jam.
.

If I could do this list over again, I would probably put this album at number 19, but its here for now. Out of the 15-20 list, this is probably the album that will appeal to the most people cause it's comfy and doesn't throw too many indie snob sounds at you. So if you need an album from this list to hang your hat on and play with your friends in the car and not get weird looks and questions about your sexuality, then this one is it. Their EP's are definitly worth a listien if you like Voxtrot's sound

.
Samples: steven, firecracker,
amazon page
myspace page

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder