Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Fin

Today is the last day. I think it worked out well that its the day before the day that is the day before the day. I guess I just have that natural sense of perfect timing. That and a natural sense of being completely arrogant when I don't need to be.

So many promises to keep, lets get started!

1) She bought the PC....suckerrrr. Ruining her life begins this weekend.

2) The UNRATED bonus material. (Albums that looked good in 2008, but I never got around to buying). Santogold . Department of Eagles "In Ear Park". The Hold Steady "Stay Positive". Crystal Castles. Kanye West "808's and Heartbreak". The Cool Kids "The Bake Sale". The Whigs "Mission Control". The Cure "4:13 Dream". No Age "Nouns" . Hercules and Love Affair. The Killers "Day and Age".

I will probably buy some of these based on how they do in the 2008 reviews that I haven't read yet and how much money I get(steal). Sorry gang, but you can rest assured that in 2008 there is going to be a shift to quality, not quantity.

3) I have made a "Christmas music that doesn't suck" mix. I am going to put it up on iTunes under "PoVegas Christmas". Feel free to search for it, or hit up the comment box for a track listing.

#1 album time. Put your happy hats on!

1-Fleet Foxes "Fleet Foxes/Sun Giant EP" I am not sure if it is legal to group them together like this, but since they came out within a month of each other and contain different songs, I am grouping them as one album.

Why is this the number one album? Good question. When I put together this list, it was easy to come up with the order that felt right in my head (subjectively), but to come up with reasons as to why I put the order as I did it became more difficult to validate my feelings. Music is such a deeply rooted entertainment source, that it becomes difficult to explain why something is better. It's so philosophical that you can come up with so many reasons as to why or why not one sound is better than another sound. DIGRESSING.......

So, why does S.VINCENT think Fleet Foxes is the number 1 album of 2008? For me, they simply did the most subjective things right AND I knew that other people would like it. If I had my ultimate way, this album and Cut Copy would be a dead heat. I like them both so much, one is fun and one is magnificent. Cut Copy is like winning your first game against your dad and Fleet Foxes is like winning your final game against professionals. They may be equal to you, but the public will only remember the last they see of you.

Basically, this album is number 1 because it's more respectable than Cut Copy. Fleet Foxes have a hymnal folk sound that just soaks through your skin. It's crisp, it's clean, and it's timeless. You would never get sick of their harmonious voices soaring over their effortless melodies. If you like Neil Young or Crosby Stills and Nash, this is right up your alley. When I first heard them, I thought instantly of My Morning Jacket, and it's true, there is a similar sound to the vocal instrumentation, but there is something a little deeper here than My Morning Jacket. I still haven't figured out what it is, but it has something to do with Fleet Foxes poise in the production. Their songs feel like they summon them from the earth, where as My Morning Jacket cranks them out of their endless creativity. This could be why Fleet Foxes seems so effortless, because it sounds like they aren't even trying. Jimmy James uses my morning jacket like a costume. He puts it on and he does his fabulous act of wonder. Fleet Foxes seem to blend into the background in some kind of a forest lullaby. Every melody and lyric eases out like a new plant or bird fluttering in.

I know this all sounds very melodramatic, but when you have to come up with ways to explain music, its very hard to conjure up what is going on, so you find yourself creating this picture of the sound. Its especially hard with the more musically dense albums because there is so much going on here. So put some headphones on, close your eyes, and let the number 1 album of 2008 soak in.

1 comment:

Alex said...

bought. solely on your recommendation I might add. that and because I had a $15 iTunes gift certificate. I'll let you know if I don't like it. or more accurately, my foot will let your nuts know if I don't like it.

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder