Monday, December 29, 2008

drain bamage

When I first started blogging, I didn't need any help remembering ideas. There was so much to talk about and update on, that there wasn't any way I could run into a writers block. Plus, I sucked (still do?) at blogging, so all of my stuff was self indulgent crappola, and as many writers know, that's the easiest stuff to write about.

Eventually my brain (intestines) ran out of pre-stored topics (shit). So then I started to carry around a little notebook, like Harriet the Spy. The problem with that is; it's totally nerdish, and instead of pulling it out at instant thought, I would wait till I was in my car, and then nearly crash into stuff. Or, I wasn't able to read my own scribbling and thus, the notebook was ruled ineligible for play due to risk

Then I got the smart idea of a voice recorder. At least 10 times more nerdy then a notebook, but twice as discreet. Crashing into stuff would only happen while I was texting and driving (a fashionable way to die if you ask me) and my voice is that of an angel, so there would be no deciphering to do. This worked pretty good, but playing it back was a "man in the mirror" moment where I would question what a completely awesome 2o-something was doing listening to his pre-recorded tom-foolery. I got over that ego-trip quickly for the sake of all 3 of my readers, but my zest for writing was gone and the topics seemed less and less enticing.

Then my zest came back (hooray?) and my thoughts and memory were strong enough to remember my blog topics. However, in the past month or so, I am finding myself in a zone where I know I thought of stuff to blog about, but then lose it when I sit down at the keyboard. My old age is catching up with me. It's like when you are in the grocery store and you know there is something else you need, look at the stuff you already got in your cart, and can't figure out what is missing. So, you get yourself all the way home.....FUCK!.......THE PAPERTOWELS!

So I am considering a revisit to those methods, but currently, I am fighting the little nerd inside me with a "You're better than this!" light-saber.

But here some good news....I posted more in this year than any other and I am still hot on the "blog more, dummy" quest. Ran out of time today, but hopefully some late posted christmas tales and observations for you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I see two options for you. Either put your voice recorder on a lanyard or get an iPod Touch. The first option would be more entertaining for everyone around you, but might result in neck strain. Between the built-in notepad and a free app, Zenbe lists, I've been able to stay on top of my world-shaking ideas pretty well. You could also use it to track your daily bicep measurements.

S.Vincent said...

AHHH, it's an Apple zombie! You stay away with your mind melting and overly easy to use devices! I know that once I get one I will be a slave and will never return to my normal frustrated life. It may be cool, but what will my therapist and I have to talk about then?

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder