Monday, February 16, 2009

stampede!!

Last week was a wash for me. Nothing got done despite some of my valient efforts in the face of sickness. I ended up retreating to my bed and trying not to think about anything except healing my diseased body. No music, no tv, no food, no light. All of these stimulations could only impede my progress back to superior health.

7 days later and I am about 80% of the way there. The doctor provided little insight into what could knock a 27 year old super human to the turf for such a long period of time, but he did provide me with a prescription for Amoxicillian in 875mg tabs. Which is what doctors do these days. Why am I telling you the dosage? Because an 875mg tab is roughly the size of a peice of Bubbalicious.....for me to swallow. Fast forward to around 3am and I am tossing and turning up a storm before I remembered my youth and how hyper and restless Amoxicillian used to make me. You forget a lot in 20 years. All I needed was some detergent and water in bed with me, and I could have washed my sheets for all my "agitator" impersonation efforts.

In the midst of my sick week, I was positioned on a couch, staring off into space, contemplating if it was worth breathing air anymore when a young child asked me a simple question.....

"Is Rage Against the Machine one of the greatest bands of the 90's?"

My head exploded. All I could give him was the simplest form of an answer. An answer in which I am sure he was unaware of the computer overload on my diseased and over heated brain. It just spit out.....

"No, they can't be"

He said more things, but I just waved my hand in a shoo-fly fashion so I could get back to more serious endeavors like not dying and assigning blame elsewhere for my troubles. But the question still needs a proper answer and then follow up information to support the cause.

The reason why they aren't: Not because I do not like them (because I really really do) and not because of a lack of musical talent (because they are easily one of the most talented hard rock groups all time). Its because they didn't sell enough records or get enough main stream play. They would be in a top 20 discussion, but not the top 10.

When you are discussing "Greatest", you must include how well the stupid stupid public and the critics see them. I know, I don't agree either, but those are the rules because everyone has to agree that they are great in order to get the label. Now if you want to include great to you, then thats a different list. That's a "My favorites" list.

So since we are here, the greatest bands of the 1990's (in my order cause I can do that). The criteria includes first or first acclaimed album released 1990-1999. Critical success at award shows, critical success by music reviewers, album sales, longevity, and consistency.

1) Radiohead
2)Pearl Jam
3)Nirvana
4)Beck
5)Pavement
6)Oasis
7)Dave Matthews Band
8)Green Day
9)Smashing Pumpkins
10)Weezer

*foo fighters, third eye blind, rage against the machine, Massive Attack, Nine Inch Nails, Built to Spill, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, and Tool is probably 10-20

This story is due to the fact that I got run over by the internet while I was away. There isn't much hope for me to catch up. I tried for about an hour today, but you bloggers need to slow the fuck down!

The comment box is where you complain or challenge my music knowledge superiority. I don't want to hear any U2, Chili peppers, Beastie boys, and REM talk people, they are from the 1980's

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder