Tuesday, January 24, 2006

But, I AM a celebrity!

Bad news readers. I was turned down by Apple for my request to submit my celebrity playlist for disbursement. Apparently my status as mayor of the imaginary town of Po-Vegas does not meet their qualifications for "celebtrity-ism" or whatever, but Ru-Paul gets a playlist just for being a transvestite? Screw you Apple, I hope you all get worms. And, you're products are being banned from Po-Vegas, so there!

Does that mean that my dedicated readers should be forced to miss out on a great playlist from me? Of course not! I haven't figured out how to make an iMix or PodCast yet and it's not because I'm computer illiterate this time, it's just that I have never took the time to even start figuring it out. So, I'll start to put togethor a S.Vincent Playlist for all of you out there who want to get a little further inside the SVC-Dome and what makes it hum.

First of all, it has to be broken down into the subsections of my psyche. The goofy-happy side, the intense-motivated side, the depressed-sad side, the depressed-angry side, the artsy-fartsy side, and the love-machine side. I could probably make a playlist for each sub-section, but lets not go crazy here. I think I have to put up some sort of facade of "I have better things to do" than to put up individual playlists for each. (Shhhhh, don't tell S.Vincent, but if you e-mail him, he can give you playlist for each if you ask nicely)

Now, in making a playlist, which I suddenly and disgustingly realized is just as gay as a mix tape, it would only be fair to keep it standard length 12-18 songs so its not over kill and to include a depth of songs that covers as much as the standard length will allow. That said, it is only fair to include 2 of each subsection. I unfourtunatly have been gay enough on multiple occasions to make mix tapes, and even though I hate myself, I am doing it again. It wouldn't be very masochistic of me if I didn't, and we all know I live for the masochism.

What makes Apple's celebrity playlist so much fun is that the celebrities put a little blurb about why they like each song and what it means to them. In making a mix tape, you can't get too caught up in the past (there is always time for another mix tape), you need to fit the purpose of the mix tape as adequately as you can and get the product out. Recent songs that you may dislike later, or will be or already have been overplayed the hell out of them by radio and TV, cannot be stressed out about. Put the songs on you like and have no regrets, if it's not you, it's not a quality tape. If Ashlee Simpson speaks to you, she speaks to you. You may be a tard, but you're not a tard in denial.(If you think I don't know this topic was covered in High Fidelity and plan on ribbing me about it......BAAHHH, Wrong!)

Here we go!

Track 1: U2, "Where the Streets Have No Name, Live from Boston" Intense motivated side. This could be the best song I have ever heard. The first CD I ever bought was the Joshua Tree when I was 11 years old. The problem with U2 songs is that you know that there is a live cut somewhere which sounds 5 times better than the Album version. Best Rock Band ever period. I don't want to hear any arguments, they just are. If you like U2 even a little bit, you must see them live before you die, and hurry up.
Track 2: The Cure, "Friday, I'm in Love" Goofy happy coming at you. I could listien to it on loop. It reminds me of 5 AM workouts in high school because it was always on the gym radio. This song introduced me to The Cure which will make more apperances here I bet.
Track 3: David Bowie "Life on Mars" Artsy Fartsy. There is a live cut out there with Arcade Fire which is very good too. I have no idea what David Bowie is singing about half the time but I love his style and music.
Track 4: John Mayer "Something's Missing" Depressed-Sad. I like the live version from Any Given Thursday, but the album version is good too. Mayer is awesome because he definitly has the gift of putting togethor great lyrics that sound good and mean something to him and he expresses it clearly. Great Axe player too. And I like the funny faces he makes.
Track 5: Joni Mitchell "Both Sides Now" Depressed-Sad. This may just be the saddest song ever written, keep razors and sleeping pills away. Gives me goose-bumps, her voice has lots of passion and the lyrics are heart-breaking. Nuff said, I don't care how soap opera watching old woman it is.
Track 6: David Bowie and Queen "Pressure" Intense Motivated. Unfourtunatly this songs gets way too much air-time and ruined by vanilla ice. But if you can forget all that BS there is a great song underneath. Just pretend your hearing it for the first time.
Track 7: Beastie Boys "Shake Your Rump" Goofy Happy. The Beastie Boys say they don't like this song as much as they used to because they have to play it live all the time. However, I played it everyday on my way in to high school full blast in order to try to establish it as my theme song and although I failed miserably, its still a great song. No one writes better rap lyrics than MCA, Mike D, and Ed Rock. Brooklyn Jew Geniuses.
Track 8: Damien Rice "The Professor" Artsy-Fartsy. Could Definitly be an Depressed-angry track, but Damien rice is just so damn talented that I enjoy this more for his musical ability than his ability to speak to me. I really really hope he has another album in him.
Track 9: David Gray "Sail Away" Love Machine. David Gray is smooth and his lyrics just scream "lets cuddle for a couple of hours". Everything is soft and you never feel like he can ruin the mood.
Track 10: Sade "No Ordinary Love" Love Machine. Some people think she is cheesy, but her voice is so unique and carribean that you can't help but be carried away to some beach or on the deck of some boat. Background music always seems appropriate. If she doesn't make your pelvis tingle, it ain't ever gonna tingle.
Track 11: Fiona Apple "Sleep to Dream" Depressed Angry. Gotta end with Depressed angry songs. Cause thats how everything ends. Pissed off. I think I love fiona so much because I would love to date someone as crazy as her. It would be wild. Her lyrics are great, you can tell shes got a lot of shit goin on and shes not holding back.
Track 12: My Chemical Romance "I'm Not Okay" Depressed Angry. They might not be around very long, but I love the glamorous screaming anger. It kinda reminds me of bullet holes through fake leather. They make good videos and I don't know much about them yet, but so far I like it. Don't hold me to it. Eye makeup is always good.

Wow, this took a lot out of me. No pics this time, but I might add some later. I definitly debated with myself a lot, but there it is. Maybe I'll pay Kato Kaylin to submit it as his own. Apple probably considers his dumb ass a celebrity.

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder