Wednesday, October 15, 2008

it's a slippery slope in the detergent aisle

"(in the narration voice for Goofy's instructional episodes) Ahhh yes, the modern supermarket. Everything the modern consumer needs under one roof in an easy to use system of aisles and checkout lines. What more could a person need to shop efficiently?"

Did you ever notice how many of those childhood tv show themes stick with you over time? The voice from that cartoon is in my self monologues all the time. I wasn't obsessed with them at the time, nor did I watch them over and over, but I think I found the way that he talked and explained things so humorous, that I often insert it when I am doing something routine. It allows me to come up with new ways to explain and humorize the dol-drums. I find that when you try to simplify things in an easy step by step format vs how it turns out; you are able to realize how complicated, unneccessary, and rediculous that some of the processes are or...can become, that you go through daily.



(I love the part at the 1:20-1:40mark)

Thus, my dilemma in the supermarket last night at 9pm was to select a detergent. WTF happened in this department. Why didn't anyone tell me that it was shrinking to 2x concentrate for everything. Personally, I know this is a scam. They keep the price per load the same and you know you are never going to believe that the detergent amount they specify is going to work, because it looks the same and probably is the same as the stuff they sold you a month ago only now it costs twice as much!

So here I am in a conundrum in aisle 10 trying to pick between my trust in Tide, which has gone full out 2x concentrated and value brand which isn't and the different load per bottle amount in each brand because I need a decent amount of laundry detergent, but I can't allocate 30 dollars on a bottle of soap per year. It exceeds my weekly soap budget by about 25 dollars, and who knows how well that 2x concentrated stuff is going to work? If I buy it and go through it in 2 months, I will have to buy another 30 dollars worth of detergent and now I am REALLY exceeding my soap budget.

So.........20 minutes later I walked out of the store with a package of 20 bars of ivory for 4 bucks and I am just gonna chuck like 3 of them in the washing machine and see what happens ;)

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder