Tuesday, July 01, 2008

S.Vincent; with his clipped moustache, his whiskey-coated growl and steely self-assurance, is an aristocrat of sleaze.

I know, I know. You hate it. Been there and heard that.

.
.
A brief history is intimately tied to Jason Giambi. Last summer, not this summer, Jason Giambi grew a terrible mustache to honor current hitting coach Don Mattingly. Loving the Yankees, the work ethic of Don Mattingly, the scoundral that is Jason Giambi, and general summer boredom; I grew one too. A fabulously terrible moustache which disappeared at the start of the fall crew season with a new job title and implied responsibility. Jason removed his after 2 weeks but mine stayed for 3-1/2 months.
.
Jason Giambi has again grown a moustache, to much more acclaim this time around, and is having a great season so far. Wish I could say the same for the Yankees, but never the less, both of our moustaches have returned for another summer.
.
Why, you ask? I don't know why, but leave me alone. This is all I have during the summer. I live alone in a basement with no friends, no workout partners, no rowers to coach, and nowhere to be. So if I want to have something to do, albeit growing ugly facial hair, then I should be allowed to. SO BACK OFF!
.
My dad and grandpa both have moustaches, so I would be dishonoring the family if I didn't at least try to make this work. (I can hear you scoffing) Plus, there is something fun about growing a moustache. It's more unique then a beard and requires more upkeep. Yet, must be left alone at times. Much like a nice lawn or an exotic plant, ignore it and it will look terrible. Over-water and over-clip and it dies. But somewhere in the middle of that lies a perfect balance of wildness and regulation.
.
Will mine look good? Probably not, but gosh darn it, I gotta try....at least until September.
.
A few pics of some famous mustaches. Which seem to be back in faux-style. In fact, if you could combine all these people into one, I would like to be that person.
.





No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder