Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My allergies are acting up

Before I get to the main topic, a quick multiple choice question. The answer will be at the end of the post.

Q: Concerning the garbage can on the street in front of my office, I have seen which of the following

A) a little brother of someone, stuck upside down

B) drugs stashed before cops make arrest

C) a dead cat

D) A homeless person retrieve a can, and drink the contents inside

E) All of the above


Now, there is never any excuse for a man to cry during a movie. NONE WHAT-SO-EVER! A man's superiority over a woman has not to do with his intelligence or his strength, for even those are somewhat fallable under the right circumstances. It has to do with our ability to mentally focus and stay cool under pressure. We have control over our emotions; women find getting socks to match their outfits distressing. We can not allow ourselves to get wrapped up in such girly things.

However, there may be some movies that may come close to trigger this response in a man, in which we will all agree to look the other way and chalk up the response under allergies. I find that a lot of these movies are ones that girls may not understand why a guy would have such allergies. Mostly the response comes on the realization of a great achievement in the film. A woman has never accomplished anything, so obviously they have no idea what the correct response for that emotion is. (snickering to self, deviously)

Here is the list of Manly "allergy" films, feel free to comment and submit your own films for consideration. You can never really have enough time to go over all the movies you've seen. I left out Braveheart, cause thats old to me now. Sorry, but I can't consider it anymore.

Rocky I and Rocky II: These are the only ones where it is okay. In the following 2 (there was no 5) the conclusions are to be expected and therefore you have plenty of time to man up and grasp the moment. In the first one, the "I love you" moment is great and maybe even stronger in number 2 where he says "I just got one thing to say to my wife and kid back home, Yo adrien, I did it" Wow, anybody got any benedril, my allergies are fierce during these movies.

Shawshank Redemption: The moment on this one tends to fade the more times I see it, at the end when Red is walking on the beach towards Andy. Thats a good movie right there, should have been a best picture if not for........

Forrest Gump: May be the best movie I have ever seen. Forrests grave side speech next to Jenny is the real clincher, but bubba dying was hard too, as well as when Forrest sees his son for the first time. I try to watch this as little as I can to keep the moments feeling fresh

Hoosiers: Along with Rocky, this may be the best sports movie ever made. The montage at the end with the "I love you guys" finish is classic. For some reason, I find a lot of people haven't seen this, but its a real sports fans and athletes movie.

Rudy: This movie tends to wear on me a little bit, but you can't fake a moment like when every member of the team threatens to quit if Rudy doesn't play or when he finally gets into Notre Dame reading his acceptance letter out loud by the river. Thats good acting on Astin's part, even if he can seem like a twerp at times.

Regarding Henry: Another movie a lot of people haven't seen. Its about man who changes after a horrible accident from a superficial jerk to an honest good person. This is a great film and I think Harrison fords finest acting performance, rent it. I don't have the space to talk about all the real world values and life lessons it teaches you.

Field of Dreams: "Hey dad, wanna play catch?" In fact, if you don't cry during that part, go see a doctor or therapist.

Memphis Belle: Singing Amazing grace while their plane is choking into the airfield and then finally touching down. A good guys movie. Girls will watch it for all the hot stars, but they don't understand the male bonding.

Million Dollar Baby: Damn you Morgan Freeman, did it to me again. Gotta love using Clint as a tough guy decoy. Hard movie to watch, and its harshness is almost too much, but a good film with a real life edge to it. Plus, I am a sucker for boxing.

Terminator 2: Just kidding



This Post written while listening to: Counting Crows "August and Everything After"


Answer to Multiple Choice: E

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOOOL, nice post

well i havent seen a man crying during a movie before though i think it would be interesting:D

I like Shawshank redemption and Forrest Gump.

I liked Million dollar baby, its great yet painful:)
morgan freeman, terrific.

 

Free Web Counters
FriendFinder